Paying for School Doesn't Have to be Painful
Thousands of dollars in scholarships and bursaries are often just a few clicks away.
Though it's one of the best investments you can make for your future, a post-secondary education can be expensive. That cost can be greatly reduced with a little effort by applying for the many scholarships and bursaries available to you! Here are a few things you should know:
- Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement and/or community service.
- Bursaries are granted based on financial need (sometimes with a community service requirement).
- Most post-secondary institutions will have scholarships and bursaries available specific to their school, thanks to local corporate and individual donors.
- There are also many scholarship sites, like ScholarshipsCanada.com, which can help you find other application opportunities not specific to your school.
What scholarships are available to me?
When it comes to financial awards, there's no one-size fits all option. Awards are available based on any number of factors, including for:
- specific programs
- new students
- returning students
- Indigenous students
- international students, and
- some schools, like College of the Rockies, provide International Learning Travel Awards to help you take your learning abroad.
Real impacts on students
Applications for scholarships and bursaries are often simple to complete and can result in thousands of dollars toward your education and thrilling cultural experiences. Daniel, a student at College of the Rockies, has made great use of the scholarships and bursaries available, including an International Learning Travel Award.
"Receiving these scholarships and bursaries has had an immeasurable impact on my life. I have been able to go to Tanzania to conduct gender equality research, and have also been able to study abroad in Andorra for a semester," he said. "On both trips I was able to meet some incredible people and share amazing experiences. I've also been able to complete post-secondary debt-free which is a huge weight off my shoulders."
As applications are accepted for different types of awards at different times of the year, you'll want to keep regularly checking your institution's website, and other provincial and national sites, so you don't miss out!
Check out awards at College of the Rockies