The World of Automation Engineers
Find out everything you need to know about automation engineers!
You may be wondering what an automation engineer is, what they do, and more importantly, why should you care? This article will tell you everything you need to know about automation engineers and how you can make this your career.
1. What is an automation engineer?
An automation engineer uses technology to set up the automation of a manufacturing process. They are responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring the technology and ensuring it is efficient as possible. This career promotes the streamlining of processes, which can lead to more cost-effective and efficient systems.
2. What are some skills you need for the job?
Some skills that are useful and beneficial for an automation engineer are:
- Efficient computer skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills
- Creative thinking skills
- Equipment troubleshooting skills
3. How can you become an automation engineer?
Automation engineers are most successful with a post-secondary degree or certificate. Some schools do not have specific degrees for automation engineers, but many related degrees will help you in the field. Many automation engineers receive degrees in mechanical or electrical engineering.
Some automation engineers also get a certification to increase their skills. A popular certification for this career is a Certified Automation Professional certificate program which is issued by the International Society of Automation.
Check out some of these programs:
4. Possible fields of employment
Check out our interview with an automation engineer!
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Medical device manufacturing
- Mining and metal extraction
- Water and wastewater
- Biochemical manufacturing
- Software Engineering
- Chemical and petrochemical
- Building material manufacturing