Have you dreamed of seeing coastal mountains, celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Ireland, going to a professional rugby game, visiting the many castles, riding the infamous red double-decker buses, or traveling effortlessly between countries?
Then it sounds like studying in the UK is a great option for you! Combine earning a degree with exploring the world. Not sure how to make your dream a reality? Read on for 5 steps to applying to study in the UK.
1. Where to begin
The best way to start your school search is to reflect on what you're most interested in. These are important questions to ask yourself when considering where to go to school.
- What kind of courses do you like?
- What job do you want out of school?
- Where would you like to live? Do you prefer the city, country, or seaside?
- What activities would you want to be involved in?
So, with these questions in mind, you have a better idea of where you want to go to school.
2. How to apply
The simplest method is the most effective. Here are two easy ways to keep track of your applications.
- Apply to your desired school directly
- Apply to up to five schools using UCAS.com
3. What do you need to apply?
Typically, applications for schools in the UK will ask for your personal information, secondary education information, written references, and a personal statement. In your application phase, it's important to know if your desired school is a licensed student sponsor (pdf) so you know that it can accommodate international students. A licensed student sponsor is a school registered with the government to enrol international students.
4. When do you apply?
Schools in the UK all have similar deadlines for when you can apply, but it's always a good idea to check with the school you're interested in to make sure they don't have any additional deadlines.
Important deadlines to know (dates may vary depending on COVID-19):
- October 15: any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine, and science and dentistry
- January 15: applications for the majority of undergraduate courses
- June 30: the last day to apply!
5. You've been accepted! Now, how do you get a visa?
Once you're accepted to the school, you can apply for a student visa six months before you start your courses. But don't worry, it usually only takes about three weeks for a decision to be made!
There are many requirements for international students to receive a student visa, but luckily, since we're in Canada, these requirements are simple.
To apply for a visa, you need the following:
- To pay a fee of €348 (approx. $510 CAD), as well as a healthcare surcharge.
- To be able to pay for your course for one academic year (nine months)
- A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number
- To be able to speak, read, write and understand English
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must have consent from your parents or guardians if you’re under 18—you'll need a copy of your birth certificate (or similar government documents) showing their names, too
- Must have a current passport or other valid travel documentation
- If you've received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months, you'll also need written consent for your application from your financial sponsor
Best of luck on your journey studying in the United Kingdom!
Find the right school for you in the UK